Post Top Ad

Sunday 17 February 2019

Pros and cons of living in a shared house

Hi All, 
Long time no see, 

I thought I'd talk about this today because I've been living in a shared house for about a year and half now (the horror I now) and I can't bring myself to move out so I guess here are the reasons why I won't move out but spend a large amount of time looking at potential places I could move to. 

So my shared house is 8 people 2 bathrooms, 2 en suites (ones mine thank god) 1 kitchen and that's it notice the no living room we'll come back to this later...

I've picked the top two of each (mainly because other wise I'll go off on a rant) 

PROS
1. So very cheap 

Why else would you even start looking at a shared house ? Mine is so cheap (£281 pcm) its essentially ruined any other place for me ever. I do however live in the not so glamorous Halifax so that's why its super duper cheap. But nerveless by living in a shared house you easily can save 200  month compared to rents plus nearly every shared house I looked at has bills included so that s another huge benefit (now that I'm thinking about it this convenience one is actually a massive part of the reason I haven't moved) 

2. Safety/ Security

 This may make me sound like a bit of  wet wipe but I find it massively reassuring that I live in a house with so many people, granted I don't know everyone name (that's right I'm talking to you, the  four strangers I've lived with)  but I know three that will always give me a hand or help be that either some anti freeze when I was very late to work (what a surprise) or a sterilising tablet when I managed to grow my own ecosystem in a mug.  I find it reassuring that if the fire alarm goes off or we get broken into least I won't have to deal with it alone. I think if I'd moved here into an apartment by myself I would have been more scared and cautious in doing things. 

CONS
1. Random people 

Now I know I was just gushing about how I like the people but lets also draw attention to the fact that out of 7  others I only know three names ... that's a pretty bad name exchange rate. I also didn't love the guy (he's moved out not died) who liked to burn bacon in the kitchen at 5 in the morning and chill out in just a  towel... most of the time after he engaged in some very loud night time activities with his lady friends if you know what I mean (am I a  90 year old women) so there is that. I think living with anyone is hard and weird but when its seven randomers it makes it so much harder. 
Also on this topic one time I took it upon myself to clean out the freezer and found a very suspicious sample of something .... 

2. Its not your space  
I have a tiny bedroom and while I do like having the en suite I would love a living room so there was just somewhere else to go, I normally end up eating my tea on the floor in front of my laptop (which is the saddest thing ever)  I would love to do cooking and baking but I only have 1 cupboard so I can't have that much stuff in the kitchen never mind the fact that for some reason slotted spoons are like gold dust everyone seems to buy and re- buy and yet there is never any (there is me pouring out the water from the poached eggs again!)

So there  we have it some pros and cons 
 that's it from me for another week 
hooray you say 
and I say byeeeeeeeeee
Week 7/52
15:42 / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad